Pages



Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Ballet



The other day I found myself wandering around downtown because there was a break in the rain and the sun decided to come out. I walked down Broadway and caught a glimpse of that infamous lit up Portland sign at the Arlene Schnitzer. As I walked by, the word 'ballet' struck me and in that moment I had the biggest urge to attend. The most that ballet has ever been apart of my life was the semester in high school Megan and I decided to take it as a joke. Not a joke of the art, just as a joke to ourselves. Ballet is not my forte, as I lack grace and flexibility. I think if I would have started young though, I would have been able to acquire these skills. I asked my mom once why she never put me into dance and she said "I tried! You didn't want to." I guess dance was more of a girl thing, and that was something I was not. I wish it was however, because I admire those who have the ability to perform. The Schnitzer was hosting "Les Ballet Trockadero de Monte Carlo" and boy, am I glad they were. As I looked up what they were all about, I had to re-read. A company consisting of a full male cast? A full male cast playing male AND female roles? A full male comedic ballet? Ticket purchased. You know you picked, although I stumbled upon, the right ballet when the older ladies below you are chuckling so hard that one whispers "oooh gawd, my jaw hurts" in mid performance. I foresee many ballets in my future. Especially if the Schnitzer is hosting; I forgot how gorgeous it was.

No comments :

Post a Comment